MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME, "WHAT A PITY YOU HAD SUCH A BIG FAMILY TO RAISE THINK OF THE NOVELS AND THE SHORT STORIES AND POEMS YOU NEVER HAD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE OF THAT.'

AND I LOOKED AT MY CHILDREN AND I SAID, 'THESE ARE MY POEMS. THESE ARE MY SHORT STORIES.




Tuesday, January 5, 2010

MY WONDERFUL YEAR OF DISCOVERY

Above : Brian born 11
years after his sisters
My precious daughters for whom life was hard.

It is almost a year now since that fateful day when Kerry, my daughter in Middleburg, introduced me to the world of blogging.




At the time I had no plan for its purpose other then as a means to keep abreast with what was happening in my offsprings lives and the lives of my grandchildren.




As time went by, it took on a life on its own and evolved into a series of short stories of my life, the lives of my children and the event that took place before my children were born, and durinig times when they were too young to remember. It has told them of what life was like for them in war torn Rhodesia. The funny, the sad and the melancholy things that were our lives.




They came to love these stories as time had blurred them in their young minds.




The stories always came to me, I never an agenda. A photo, a comment made, and there it was glimpse into the past. It promoted great interest in them in their heritage as 2nd generation Rhodesians. A country their father fought for, and one we all believed in.




I loved the crystal clear clarity as I travelled with them and had the prigiledge of taking them on that journey.




I recalled the immense support I received from my mom. we were travel partners is so many ways. She was there when Kerry fell off her toy cupboard and concussed herself. She was my strength is so many ways. Our menfolk were most often absent.




I am thankful that they were too small to remember to know that they were not living as freely or safely as many other children.




We could not travel on the roads without going in convoys, and they learnt from tots how to read the bush, noises of the bush were good, it meant there were no intruders in the countryside, silence was not good, and dad would drive with one had on his pistol, his eyes moving left and right, the childrens lives depended upon complete obedience without question, and when told to get on the floor, that is what they did, immediately. Their lives were harsh and disciplined for such small children,




We did the best we could to bring them joy, to laugh and teach them that there were always silver linings. They had parents who loved them and we loved them.




But, praise God, nothing lasts for ever, and there came a time when they were able to live as normal little girls.




My son knew better times, and it was a joy to be able to raise a child without fear.




I remarried when he was 10 and he spent his teen years with my self and my second husband, who never stood between us.




My journey has been full of discovery. I have found humour, lost joy, understanding, patience, insight and wisdom, and yes, step by tiny step I have found me and all I thought I had lost.

No comments: