MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME, "WHAT A PITY YOU HAD SUCH A BIG FAMILY TO RAISE THINK OF THE NOVELS AND THE SHORT STORIES AND POEMS YOU NEVER HAD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE OF THAT.'

AND I LOOKED AT MY CHILDREN AND I SAID, 'THESE ARE MY POEMS. THESE ARE MY SHORT STORIES.




Tuesday, June 30, 2009

INTRUDERS

INTRUDERS




INTRUDERS

Something happened a short while ago that I did believe could happen to anyone, not with the security of passwords etc.

I opened my blog which may not be very glorious to others but the posts I have here have been of occasions and incidents that mean something to and I hope to my family. If others enjoy them then that pleases me.

Can you imagine m y HORROR when I saw a post in MY space entitled "I WANT WHITE WIFE' and went on to say that, whoever this person was, he was Angolan, an accountant, loved a white woman and left an email address.

Hours of stressing as to how anyone could have logically managed to achieve what I thought would have been the impossible, left me stumped. My daughter Kerry who is a computer boffin, managed to delete it, and she then changed the password.

However, I use an internet cafe and a theory came to me, I may or may not be right, but I am sharing this with you so you too may be aware of what can happen on public computers.

I use the same internetcafe and to use the computers I have to buy time, am given a slip of paper with a password on it. The password has to be entered at the top of the screen, then next to it I must click "log on". This clears the wallpaper and I can now get into the computer, start and choose where I want to go.

What I had not realised (maybe, what do you think?) is that I had simply logged out without closing off all my files first. The next person to use the computer would have clicked on contined after entering their password and guess what, they would have been in step by step, and they would have had access to all the other sites I had visited, thus endangering others.

I now make very sure that I close everything and sign off before logging off.

I have often found myself in another persons emails and have had to sign off for them before I can access my mail.

It was a lesson I will not forget.

No comments: