MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME, "WHAT A PITY YOU HAD SUCH A BIG FAMILY TO RAISE THINK OF THE NOVELS AND THE SHORT STORIES AND POEMS YOU NEVER HAD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE OF THAT.'

AND I LOOKED AT MY CHILDREN AND I SAID, 'THESE ARE MY POEMS. THESE ARE MY SHORT STORIES.




Friday, August 14, 2009

GROWING IN FAITH AND STRENGTH

My mother once said to me "nothing lasts forever". This was when I was doing my best to survive raising 3 babies on my own when their father was on border duty during the Rhodesian war. I was often overwhelmed with just keeping them fed, dry, bathed and endeavouring to explain the concept to them that nights were for sleeping (preferably ALL night.) I just hoped that somewhere in the chaos I was doing a good enough job teaching them lifes values, and hoped that one day they would grow up to be good citizens. I often felt I fell short of my task, but today, by the grace of God, I can be proud of all of them.

Since then I have learnt that we face many tunnels in life, but there is always light at the end of them. And I have never forgotten that "nothing lasts forever".

After Andy's stroke, I could see no light anywhere, I don't think he could either. Then, yes, there it was, in the distance, just a speck. Each day it grows a little brighter.

He can not flex the right hand and fingers, I know the day will come when he can lift his whole arm. He can lift his right leg a little higher as well. Today I did'nt have to lift his foot up to put on his socks. I glanced up, sure he was helping it with his good arm - NO! it had enough strenght in it to lift on its own now.

He falls less, but when he does I have the strength to lift him myself and don't have to rely on others for that.

He is using a walking frame, I have to follow him as he is not steady enough to go alone (or I just panic when he does) and he cannot go very far. But I see a determination in him, and am thankful for his stubborn spirit!

Yesterday we read from Col: where we are reminided that the battle is the Lords - what a relief that is to know!

No, I am not in this on my own as a despairingly thought I was, I have a loving God, loving family, I have been given physical strength to cope with our needs, my mind can be strong and sure, and the light is shining a little brighter today, in the distance, but it is there, praise God for his goodness and mercy! and yes mom, nothing does "last forever",

No comments: