MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME, "WHAT A PITY YOU HAD SUCH A BIG FAMILY TO RAISE THINK OF THE NOVELS AND THE SHORT STORIES AND POEMS YOU NEVER HAD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE OF THAT.'

AND I LOOKED AT MY CHILDREN AND I SAID, 'THESE ARE MY POEMS. THESE ARE MY SHORT STORIES.




Wednesday, December 9, 2009

LET YOUR YES BE YES AND YOUR NO BE NO

We have just returned from the orthopaedic clinic at the hospital. So what. This is what.

A stroke patient has a confused mind from time to time, and it is at its worse when under stress. Many conditions manifest themselves more noticeably during times of stress and frustration.

We were amidst hundreds of people waiting to hand the file in at the dispensary, where it will wend its way through the hands of, I hope, of very capable pharamacists, and come out at the other end with all the medication in a packet.

We were waiting at this counter when I discovered that I had mislaid my receipt, without which I cannot collect anything as the meds are handed over upon production of this receipt. I wanted to go and get another one, so I told my patient to wait where he was. "don't leave me here" he says clinging to the counter. I attempt to prize him loose and take him with me. That brought forth a more panicked response, 'Leave me here, you will be quicker' comes the reply from this head shaking, counter gripping panicked being. "I ASKED YOU THAT **....!! I screech.

Ah, I have seen this many times before I think to myself. I get him to focus and ask 'is that a no no, a no yes, a yes yes or a yes no? Make any sense to you? No, I didn't think so.
I leave him and go to collect a new receipt, we have several pairs of eyes watching us, all part of the entertainment one sees in a hospital such as this, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary and everthing seems to be normal because no one knows what normal is anymore. but I am
MAD.

The cherry on the cake is that he denies shaking his head because for some reason, beyond my understanding and my zero knowledge of brains, he really cannot tell the difference. Not yet.

That was my morning and so I am here in my haven where everything makes sense, even this stupid computer who loses my emails and its marbles, has meltdowns, and then just tells me "server cannot be found" which it has been doing for the best part of the rest of this day.

I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments: